View Single Post

Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Great, Garland. I made a pretty simple structure, the front spar is matched to the dihedral angle of the bottom of the wing and follows the thickness taper of the wing; it locates the part. The aft spar matches the wing's bottom dihedral and is located so its bottom edge lines up with the bottom edge of the front spar; however, the aft spar is constant height and only made of two laminations. As the wing slips over it, the aft spar can flex forward if needed to clear the trailing edge thickness/taper while the spar's bottom keeps the wing aligned. In this case, I put glue only on the bottom edge of the aft spar (top and bottom for the front one).

This particular FG model's graphics were symmetric - allowing me to use them to locate the spars. That said, building this one stock would be a challenge since the wings would be edge glued to the flat (well, pretty much cylindrical actually, and at a slight angle) surface of the fuselage (no tabs here). To get a good fit you'd need to do a very precise job of scribing the fuselage shape onto the wing roots (and how you'd hold them in place at the correct angle and position I haven't a clue).

Yogi