View Single Post

Old 03-16-2008, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-final-5.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-final-6.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-future-work-area.jpg

I couldn't resist putting in the pic of the 1:1 scale WIP. When it grows up, this will be the location of the paper model building table. I'm hoping there is enough lighting to help improve the photo-taking aspect of the hobby.

So, Old Troll, the Hein is now complete. I was going to hold off until tomorrow to try for the "squeaked in just under the wire" bonus, but as flaky as the weather is (which means as shaky as the satellite internet connection is), I'd better go ahead and finish the posting while there is a patch of blue outside.

Regarding the "what I would have done differently" section of the build string....first, I wouldn't have tried switching to joining strip construction for the fuselage, unless I was intending redrawing the skins as the build progressed. Second, I would have used balsa instead of foam as the filler for supporting the landing gear legs. I also think I would have eliminated trying to "color the white edges" step....inability to exactly match the colors resulted in something I find even more distracting than raw paper edges. I also would have attached the radiator before putting on the wing fillets. I would have re-engineered the attachment of the propellor assembly to the fuselage....trying to follow the instructions resulted in a pretty sloppy fit, but at least it does qualify for the "propellor moves" bonus. (All wheels also freely move....and even stay attached to the LG legs). Finally, and maybe most significant....as designed, the horizontal stabilizers do not sit properly on the fuselage. As built, they are forward swept. The stab-elevator joins should form straight line, not a "V", when viewed from overhead. I believe this would be best corrected by inserting a spreader wedge frame piece into the back of the rear fuselage section to widen the fuselage at the stab leading edge and eliminate the forward sweep of the horizontal stab assy. All things considered, a reasonably pleasing final model. Not a contest piece (but what Maly kit is without major reworking), but presentable in polite society. Thanks for the contest, Ron....it has been fun. I'm afraid the Hood will remain a non-starter, but promise to do a build on it in the near future for the couple of you who follow my builds.