View Single Post

Old 10-22-2010, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quite a lot of great information and suggestions from all!

I will try out the Deftship program, hadn't tried it before and it might be helpful.

Speaking of using software for creating hull designs, I had tried Metaseq in the past but for some reason just didn't seem to get the hang of it, but that is most assuredly my not taking the time to learn the program. What I was looking to do was to take a set of plans, insert it as a background image to the software, and use the program to trace out a set of frames to create the hull shape. Metaseq seems to be good for this, if I could only figure out the correct method of creating the frames in a proper format (again, just a matter of taking my time to learn this, but sufficient spare time is something that seems fleeting).

I gather Rhino is superb for this also, once you learn the program.

I have even thought of the old fashion method, having had a bit of experience in wooden ship building, which uses a framing method similar to the egg crate method a number of ship model designers use, but just make the bulkhead formers and profile shapes out of card. I could then use Darwin's method of custom fitting the hull plates; this is pretty much what Barry was doing in a very early design thread, before he started using Metaseq. For the size models I build, this would be very doable once I get the frames cut out. Sure, it's a lot of cutting, fitting, scanning, cutting, fitting, scanning, etc., but as Darwin says that is what you need to do for a proper fitting "jacket". I gather the Metaseq program does this electronically, although I am not sure whether or not that program has limits on the ability to create smooth curves when the model is expanded to a flat configuration ("unfolded"). I gather Pepakura is used for unfolding the Metaseq information.

Anyway, again I am going too long, suffice to say I will certainly use the wonderful advice everyone has so generously shared in this thread and who knows, I might end up with something that someone else might be interested in...stranger things have happened!:D

First I have to locate a set of plans for the ship I am interested in, and then we'll see where that takes me.

Thanks again to all!

Cheers!
Jim