View Single Post

Old 11-01-2010, 12:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Texas how to with Google Sketch up.

Hello everyone. Because I have been asked and because I have hit mental blocks on many of the models I am currently working on, I will attempt to layout a step by stop on how to make an ironclad. I use Google Sketch Up because it is free, and works for me. i am in no way an expert and some of you wil be scratching your heads wondering why I am doing things the way I am. Well, because it worked in the past for me, that's why. I am also not a teacher and I do not design manuals or programs, so If I fail to relate some information, my apologies. Now, that being said, I will do my best.

First you need good information and a nice three way drawing is also helpful. For this I am indebted to John Wallis. His research has provided me with many of the plans I based my models on. the CSS Texas will be no exception. First I converted his Word document into a PDF then into a JPG image, using Gimp to adjust the scale and so on. Now the drawing is in an image that the GSU will recognize. Now we can use it for a back drop in Sketch up.

But first, some notes about the Texas. Had it been finished and deployed, it would have been deadly. Notice too that the duel pilot houses are on the deck, like the Wilmington, making them hard to hit and freeing up room in the gun casemate. It is interesting that the US navy went from deck plased pilot houses like on the original monitors to putting them above the guns, and the south went the other way. Also note that the Texas had only four guns in a shortened casemate. This allowed more armor to be placed on the casemate - eight inches in this case, rather then spreading the armor out over a longer casemate with more guns. Combined with working engines and a speed of may be eight knots, this ship would have had some punch to it.

Now, on to the process.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Texas how to with Google Sketch up.-css-texas.jpg