View Single Post

Old 11-04-2010, 02:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Nando, A nice result! The astronaut and the base look really good.
A tip for the base: If you would have made the base paper disc wet in advance, it might not have curved as much as it did. It looks like it is made of beermat-like paper and that's very absorbent. The papier-maché is wet and its humidity gets sucked into the rest of the paper. That causes the whole to dry irregulrarly.
Now, when you keep the outsides wet, the thing might have dried a bit more evenly.

An other idea you could use is to make the papier-maché underground a bit bigger and on a flat, non-sticky surface. Like a mirror or something like that. When it has dried, you cut it out to its specific shape and glue it to your base for strength.

People who make aquarel paintings (Watercolour) do something to stretch their paper to prevent wobblyness. They first make the paper they are going to work on completely wet, so it expands. Then put it on a straight, flat background. They use a paper sticky tape, much like the lick-strips on an envelope, to glue the paper in position. When it dries it has been stretched. When they start painting, the paper won't wobble.

Just some tips.

@ Lillorizzo: Be aware that when you scale the astronaut down to 33%, most parts are unbelievable tiny and very hard to cut out, fold and glue. When you, as you say, are new to the hobby, you have chosen two very hard subjects to start with. The LM is a elaborate piece of work, (especially U-Don's one). The astronaut is a very cool piece of work, but to scale it down that far, even though I myself like working in the almost nanoscales, looks like a very big challenge. However, I wish you good luck with the build! Show us the results!