View Single Post

Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcyfer View Post
I'd separate the phases into a standalone battles which can be played one after another or as standalone encounters:

SPACE:

1. Simulation of a space sector - the stars are connected with warp corridors allowing for interstellar travel. Each star system has it's characteristics - number of planets, production points (Industrial/Farming), planetary/system defenses
2. A battle in space with the opposing fleet, or a battle on the reaches of planetary system, with no planet nearby.
3. Space battles in interior of space system - around of it's planets, with possibility to enter planetary orbits and bombard the planet under fire from planetary batteries and to drop the invading forces to the surface.
4. Strategic battles on the planet surface - a city is one hex, units represents divisions which are parts of entire armies.
5. Tactical battles representing a battle on one hex of strategic map - one tank represents entire tank squad, one troop represents entire platoon
6. Skirmish, with single troopers and machines - this can be also a prelude to landing - like a ground attack on Planetary Defense battery, before main space desant.

This is like a flow, but players can concentrate on space, strategy, tactical or skirmish levels without need of the others - which can be determined by dices on tables.
I think that 3 different games to play a strategic campaign it's already a lot. Remember that players tend to quit games if things don't happen. So, five different games to conquer a planet is too much. We must find a balance between complexity and playability. This game is for us, of course, but it is also for other people, so we must think about them. It doesn't have to be a simpleton game but it must be:

Fast to play, even if long to end.
Everybody must have things to do during all the game turn, not like warhammer, where I move all my troops and half an hour later you start to play yours.
Simple Core Rules so that a person can start to play without more than 5 minutes of rules demonstration from a friend.
Everything must be easy to look at. Rules are in the table game. Being in the miniature base or in a unit card.
Last, but never least. Suspension of disbelief. A player using an army must believe in the reality of that army. This is what sells a game. One of the last games I liked in GW was Battlefleet Gothic. The rules where a curious simplification of Full Thrust, but workable but with a childish and horrible twist. The Nova Cannon. You choose a ship and guess a distance... A friend of mine, who is an excellent schemer but a terrible guesser would be sick with this rule. We changed it, of course, but the suspension of disbelief was forever shaken for us in this game...