View Single Post

Old 01-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
my point on the dice is that initiative should be easy, more complex rolls elsewhere are fine (and should be determined by info on the card)

If you want balance then why not a d10 then add one for each level of command quality? then it would be
CQ1 - 6
CQ2 - 7
CQ3 - 8
CQ4 - 9
CQ5 - 10
CQ6 - 11
CQ7 - 12
The reason is the Agility rule. A CQ1 would only have a maximum of 4 points to distribute to his ships Agility, think of it as a rookie commander that doesn't know all the innuendos of a space battle or of a particular ship. A CQ4 captain would have a maximum of 10 points to distribute between the agility of his ships. But still there is 27% of chances that in a given turn the CQ1 will win the initiative. That's the reason for me to write the rule as I've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
*edit*
I prefer all in - missiles are good with this further discussion
Just because I say we can use lots of different dice in the whole game does not mean I want to use lots of different dice in one roll type in the game.
Why? That's exactly the reason to have variable dice. Is to be able to give variable chances to same type of rolls. That's why a short sword will make 1D6 of damage and a Long sword will make 1D8 and not 1D6+2. (1D6+2 will always make a minimum of 3 damage points and that's incoherent, for a long sword has the potential to make as few damage as a short sword).