View Single Post

Old 11-22-2010, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Lightbulb Hull and other little things...

Finally some time to share with you the progress on the Mayflower...

While thinking about how to make a nice hull I decided to spend the time with a little bit of work on the self adhesive foil. So I made some walls and doors... The first three pics show my results, altered with black/brown oil paint. The following four pics show how I made the hinges for the doors:
4) cut out with scissors and scalpel, color black (waterproofed marker), the left hand one is a ready one,
5) bend one part with the tweezer,
6) form the hinge on the NOT sharp edge of a box cutter,
7) make imitations of nails with the tip of a compass.

Then after some sleepless nights I got the idea how to make a more or less smooth hull...... A "old" technique I used once as a kid to form nice convex parts out of carton came into my mind...Pictures 8) to 13) should explain how I use this technique to make the parts for the hull. Of course back then I had no mouse pad and used a little iron sphere instead of a stone.

I decided to make only one hull - as smooth as possible - without any additional material (balsa wood sanded into a nice smooth shape, insulating foam,... etc) since I don't want to have a too big mess in my living room (the mess is already big enough..). Nevertheless, no smoothness without sanding...

While so fascinated about my "old" way of forming rounded parts I totally forgot that one of the frames was not in the right size ! I made a mistake earlier and forgot about it totally (Picture 14)... After removing the two hull parts and correcting the frame I used the same parts again, which ended up in some disastrous dents !! Well....I thought: "..this is a paper model so if some parts are not good enough, hey I got enough pizza boxes!" But it was unnecessary work with removing the parts from the hull frame again...

Until now I was able to finish the hull on the lower starboard side.
Attached Thumbnails
Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_016.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_014.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_015.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_018.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_019.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_020.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_021.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_030.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_031.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_032.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_033.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_034.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_035.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_017.jpg   Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_022.jpg  

Mayflower Galleon 1:100 (The pilgrims journey)-mf_023.jpg  
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20

Last edited by RdK; 11-22-2010 at 07:58 PM.