Thread: CSS Arkansas
View Single Post

Old 11-26-2010, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Today I printed out a double size (1/125 scale) model to see how the details will upsize. Primarily wanted to see how the windlass and bow area build up. One thing to note, doubling the size squares the volume, so this version is huge compared to the original model. I'm happy with the windlass, but it might turn into a cut-down q-tip on the smaller model. It is made from six parts, and to make it in 1/250 scale would require the skills of Chiawatkom, something that I do not have.

Another thing I wanted to check was how the different gunport covers look like. Paintings of the Arkansas show:
1. No gunport covers on the bow and stern chaser guns and split covers on the broadside guns, or
2. Split gunport covers on the broadside guns and single flap style on the chasers, or
3. Pivoting single piece covers on all gunports.
4. Split gunport covers on all gunports.

With an operational lifespan of 23 days I doubt she had a chance to have her gunport covers by anything other than Union cannonballs, so I'm just going to throw enough different pieces in to make any kind of covers.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Arkansas-arkansas-model1.jpg   CSS Arkansas-arkansasbowquateriso.jpg   CSS Arkansas-h61912k.jpg   CSS Arkansas-css-arkansas.jpg