View Single Post

Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
What's in a name?

IPMS as an organization that has a history & an tradition that predates the internet and easy, high-speed communications. It has changed & adapted over time though perhaps not as fast as some would wish - and there is still room to grow. For example, the "plastic" component of a model is no longer an issue as all materials are officially allowed in contests.

My perspective comes from being a member since 1976 and seeing the benefit of 'working as an organized group'. Of course, I have seen my share of both sides of the intolerance fence, from the IPMS 'geek' who is disrespectful of other's work and those who jump ship because they are dissatisfied with how they were "treated" at contests. In all this fracas, the main point is lost or obscured - scale modeling. Granted, IPMS is not a society of sculptors or painters, but scale modelers. The predominate medium for this work is currently commercially produced plastic kits, which are themselves changing due to the influence of the resin and photoetch manufacturers as well as the demands of the modelers themselves (more complexity, accuracy, finer detail, better engineering, etc.) Changes in the market and the demographics of the plastic kit industry have wrought a sea change akin to the railroading hobby with expensive manufactured goods and a jungle of niche aftermarket products aimed at the mature modeler.

So, what is my point? Evolution, my dear pulpers. Just as paper modeling has been 'reborn' with the advent of the personal computer and the internet, so has all scale modeling undergone change. As 'paper' modelers, it should not be a "poke in your eye" that IPMS stands for I-Plastic-MS. Rather it should be a reference to a long tradition of growth, empowerment, sharing and union within one corner of the craft in which we all enjoy "playing". Perhaps in the not too far ahead days, the "P" will become "precision" or will be replaced with an "S" for "scale". I care not which, just that the Society’s (overall) wonderful community (yes, even the thorny curmudgeons) continues to nurture the craft just as it has done for me. For me, it is about the art of the modeler, the MkI precision eyeball that guides the fumbling hand with shaking knife, brush or pencil into the construction of a jewel-like wonder, a miniature of reality that can be hoisted up and squinted at in recollection of young joys of creation and fun.

If I lost anyone in this, I apologize in my failure to clearly communicate, as is the curse of most of us.
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale