View Single Post

Old 12-25-2010, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Evolution not revolution...

is how things will change in this arena. As noted, the 'P' is no longer a restriction but more a nod to the past (aka 'tradition'.) Lets face it, many modelers are always looking for better ways to build and have more fun - regardless of media. I myself like the idea of the 'P' morphing into 'Precision' - I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a fashion model if only "IMS" was used... Not that would *ever* happen!

RE: the Q about proxy attendance at convention competitions - any IPMS member can enter their models via a proxy if they wish. There are many 'foreign' members of IPMS-USA (for example) who cannot afford to attend but they compete through friends by shipping their work to the convention. It is about authoring the work, not who delivers it (which is why pre-painted die-cast models are reasonably not allowed to compete...)

A lot of talk about the competition aspect of the Society, but really the IPMS, like any other (including this forum), is, or *should be*, about the sharing and camaraderie
of a group with a shared interest. Craftsmanship and ingenuity are appreciated whether the modeler uses paper or (as we love to rib our pal Ben Guenther) "chewing gum & twine". Within IPMS, there is a learning curve with any new 'format' as the group wrestles with the competition question, same as "vacuform" & "scratchbuilt" models became judged as being inherently different from building an injection molded plastic kit and therefore belong in a separate 'class'. So it must be with the paper-based model. I would hope it is obvious that the greater the 'presence', the greater the rate of awareness & action to accommodate. Hence, the need for greater numbers of 'pulpers' to 'storm the gates'. Having a consensus about standards and a consolidated culture helps get over that initial resistance that comes with any change. (Good thing we have this forum!)

So, if change is coming, and enough folks think it would be worthwhile to expend the effort, expect the motivation to come from within the paper modeling community - not IPMS. I suspect everyone might be just fine going down separate tracks just as it is now. It does work, right? However, being in both camps (so to speak), I personally think both have a lot to learn and enjoy from each other - I know I have! This is my prayer & hope, that both groups will see modeling as modeling and have bigger, broader horizons for that perspective. We can stay in our comfort zones or we can strive to reach beyond, either is fine in my estimation. Some folks like their hobby *niche* exactly because it makes them happy and see change as a bother. Others, being forever dissatisfied with the current state of affairs, are always agitating for something else. In truth, both viewpoints are valid since it is a personal choice where we take our hobby. If enough of us align to the same "path", then things will happen.

At some point, discussion will be done and action will be required. There are no real obstacles other than self-made ones - so if you want it, do it! Win a trophy, educate a 'plastic' modeler.

As always,
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale