View Single Post

Old 01-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice write up!

I agree that it’s a HUGE model and it consumes HUGE amounts of ink! I pretty much killed an HP #57 ink cartridge ($45) printing it out for my build.

I did a spreadsheet for the materials cost of this model and with foamcore, ink, purchasing the model, and incidentals it ran about $85 for me. (Now I kinda wish I hadn't run the numbers <sigh>).

On "Warping". I have discovered that when assembling the sections where you double over and glue to make a two sided piece the best thing to do seems to be

1) Have a flat surface (I have a 2'x3' sheet of tempered glass from an old display case that I use)
2) Use 3m brand "Super 77" spray adhesive on the parts
3) Use a small silicone rolling pin as a "burnisher/roller". I use a Fiesta "Sil-Pin Junior". It has the additional bonus of really easy water cleanup if you get adhesive on it!

Using this method I get nice solid and straight pieces. However I have to admit that I have absolutely no idea how the long term durability will be.

I’m going to do as you did and “sandwich” the windows in the Sterncastle and other parts. That’s pretty much what I’ve done with the air vents so far.

I agree that the lack of a tab in the sterncastle outer walls feels like a flaw in the design. I’ll probably use a bead of hot-melt glue myself.

Give me a little time to catch up on my build and we'll compare photos

Dale