View Single Post

Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
The shooting down, and emergency landings of a Po-2 in original colour photos

Here is a very dramatic sequence involving a Po-2. We are in Ukraine, in the general area of Ratta. The time is Summer 1941, the invasion summer. German soldiers on motorbikes with sidecars are everywhere. We even catch a glimpse of the bonnet emblem of the staff photographer's car. He is using colour film, which must have been quite exclusive at the time:

Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-bundesarchive-1-169-0111.jpg

What we see is a shot-down Po-2 attempting an emergency landing. As the pilot flares out, he notices German soldiers everywhere, tries to climb again, but stalls only to crash and burn:

Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-bundesarchive-2-169-0115.jpg

This is the first of a sequence of colour photos obtained from the German Bundesarchiv. Further directions on how to find these particular photos at the end of the post.

The dramatic sequence continues with the photographer rushing towards the burning aircraft, smoke still emanating from it, but the fire largely having abated. The first photo is blurred by the motion and excitement of the photographer, rushing towards the scene:

Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-bundesarchive-3-169-0113.jpg Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-bundesarchive-4-169-0114.jpg

The second photo is steadier. Note the fairly unique colour scheme of the fin, and the absence of wheel covers on this Po-2.

In the same sequence, but later, several German soldiers and officers investigate the downed Po-2.

Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-bundesarchive-5-169-0112.jpg Polikarpov Po-2 Kartonowa Kolekcia 1:33-bundesarchive-6-169-0407.jpg

In the background of the first photo we also see an armoured half-track.

Source-critical discussion of these photos

The Bundesarchiv has grouped the five first photos as one event taking place in Ukraine, Summer 1941, and only the last one as belonging to the event in 1942, Dnjepr area. This is clearly illogical, since the Ukraine 1941 event allegedly involves the crashing and burning of a single aircraft, and then the investigation of this, the same, aircraft.

Therefore I have rearranged the order of the photos and grouped them as all belonging to an event in Ukraine 1941.

The reason for this is that the last photo probably is shot by a different photographer. In the last photo, it may have captured the photographer of the five previous ones. It is quite possible that this single frame has been incorrectly dated and located by that photographer.

At least all of the four last photos, in my opinion, depict the same aircraft and event (note distinct camouflage, absence of wheel covers, and depressed left aileron in both of the two last photos). I can only surmise that the first two photos also show this aircraft, and depict the same event. It is at least probable.

Leif

Source: Bundesarchiv.

Search order:
Topicsearch / Sachklassifikation / E (Zweiter Weltkrieg 1939-1945) / Ed (Truppen- und Formationsgeschicthe) / Ed500 (Luftwaffe) / Ed580 (Ausländische Flugzeuge) /Ed588 (Sowjetische Flugzeuge).

Select:
Photos 169-0111 up to and including 169-0115, plus 169-0407.

I have tried to improve the colour balance of the original photos, which had faded with age. I will also write to the Bundesarchiv about the ordering and dating of the photos.

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 01-19-2011 at 09:18 AM.