View Single Post

Old 01-27-2011, 04:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.41 MB
David Brown's Libarary of Space Documents - Copyright Legality

To whom it may concern,

Having studied at university and been "drilled" in the correct procedures of referencing [in assignments and thesis documents], I have come to the conclusion that it is acceptable to "pass on" portions of my documents.

I went to my university library and inquired as to the precise (legal) definition of "copying and plagiarism". According to international copyright law, an individual may copy a maximum of 10% of the total quantity (pages) of information or one full chapter of a book/document - whichever quantity is less, provided that the information is not to be used for commercial purposes and is for the education of the recipient.

In other words, I can copy the technical drawings (with a few sentences of an explanation) and then email them to another person as long as:

a) I do not exceed the copyright limit, and
b) the recipient only uses the information for an "educational purpose".

As long as I send my technical schematics and illustrations to other paper modelers who only make their model designs available for free and do not attempt to sell them, then everyone will be legally "in the clear". No-one will be liable for prosecution because the pastime of paper modeling is a personal craft activity with educational value; eg, in my classroom.

This means that Ton Noteboom et al can now utilize my documents to "upgrade" their existing models and to begin the process of creating models for the unbuilt concepts.

Yours faithfully,
David Brown.