Cool Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac

Ron Hall design
Boeing B-17G in 1/48 scale
Beta build

Construction and build log by Isaac
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

started February 2011

=============================================

As many of you have seen before Ron ( Ron40 ) has been developing his B-17G in both 1/33 and 1/48 scale. Ron asked me to participate in this version of the Beta build. As I read over the previous logs, I note that most of the bugs have been ironed out, so this is the Beta + version.

Just as an aside, I have been building many WW2 aircraft in both paper and plastic, but tend to select single engine planes. My last 4 engine paper planes were the Schreiber DC-7 and the Lockheed Electra turboprop liner ( both unfortunately have been recycled ). That was quite a long time ago.

So here we go.

Started by putting my other projects aside and cleaning the work area.

Initial impression of the kit:

It is certainly massive in size ( even at 1/48 scale ). The next visual that struck me was the many well laid out pages. They are grouped in logical clusters. The parts have ample spacing and the pages are not crowded. This suits me well as I tend to cut out many parts, mark the back side with their number, and then lay them in trays for further work. I usually rely on a scanned version to refer to in case I lose a part or did not mark it.
Since this is a Beta version, I am not sure as to the finish of the final version, but an improved line resolution ( more pixels ) will be of great improvement.

Since I am a visual builder ( rather than written instructions ), I will rely on the sketches Ron included. I will also refer to the previous builds or develop my own visual steps as I get further into the build. You will see both the words and the pictures of my build.

Since this model was previously built in 1/33 scale and started in 1/48 scale with the full interior, I decided to build the kit as is minus the interior or clear parts. I thought the Beta build should also verify the kit design as provided since some folks will build it with the kit supplied rendered exterior “clear” windows as apposed to building the interior which then needs the vacuformed and clear glazing.

As an additional reference, Boats / Deckape ( my neighbor to the north ) is building the same 1/48 scale kit with interior and will be reporting separately in this thread:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/13253-colossal-side-side-side-builds.html

The initial thread that started it all is Side-by-Side B-17G Beta Build and that thread is here:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/9293-side-side-b-17g-beta-build.html

Cheers

Isaac