View Single Post

Old 02-12-2011, 07:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Upgrading the EDU-Craft 1:70 Crawler

I'm new to all this paper modeling stuff but I've been involved in model rocketry for a long while. One thing I've always wanted to do was build a good looking LUT for displaying my Saturn V and/or Saturn 1B models. I had built one as a project for LAUNCH Magazine a few years ago using resin parts that I cast and balsa. It didn't turn out too badly, but it still wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Recently I discovered paper modeling and the EDU-Craft LUT related models so I decided to take a stab at them and perhaps update the LUT section in the next revision of my rocketry book. I haven't actually started the build yet, but I have started prototyping some upgrades that I plan to include when I do the build.

The photo here is a test build of the structure for the walkways and a stairway on the crawler. The walkway will be covered with a fine mesh to provide the walking surface in the completed model. I prefer the actual steps to a ramp with the steps printed on them - but they are pretty challenging to assemble at this scale.

Mario
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading the EDU-Craft 1:70 Crawler-walkway.jpg