Thread: Contour 1/24
View Single Post

Old 03-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
What's your special interest in this one?
I like obscure topics, especially when it's something I can build. I especially like some of the less-modeled spacecraft, things that people don't see a lot of builds of. Thus, my Pathfinder shuttle model, Ulysses, and CONTOUR.
I remember following this one back in the early 2000s, before it was launched, and I remember the disappointment I felt when it was lost. I don't know why it fascinates me so much, but I do remember being someone unenthusiastic about the paper model that was available, just because the actual probe was so detailed, and the old model basically stopped at the bus.
Years later, while perusing the Yahoo space modeler's group, I saw a model that Scott Brotherton had built, and was particularly impressed with the detail on his solar panels. I sent him a message asking how he did it, and he replied that they were paper, drawn out in a graphics program and printed just like a card model. He offered to share the panels with me, and I took him up on the offer.
I thought about it for a while, and realized that the panels were literally made for a paper model, and that maybe I could do the probe some justice. So here I am.

Honestly, I should ask for help on the last instrument that is preventing me from finishing this one. I am having trouble deciding how to represent the shape of the imager cover, at the top of the bus below the sunshade.

I am still thinking about how to do that best.