View Single Post

Old 03-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'll try to present my method to make the tracks. I hope that my explanations with photos will be clear enough.
Some of you may not like it, as the approach may be called "brute force". You know, in fact I'm a lazy guy and I do a lot to make my life easier Instead of preparing the digital project of single track I make a tool (sort of cutting table) that helps me make the tracks.

The first step is to have the drive wheel - It gives you all the dimensions you need. According to these dimensions and photos of the real thing you prepare semi-finished product - the combination of paper and wires (I used ta telephone wire). On the third photo below you see what I mean. You need to pay attention to keep the same dimensions while putting it together.

The cutting table (photo no 4) lets you cut that material quickly without much effort. Of course You need to remove copper wires before you start cutting. In fact the cutting table is the key to have nice, repetitive shapes. The guides have to be well aligned and soaked with cyanoacrylic glue. My advice is not to follow exactly what I show - I'm just trying to present the general idea (plus my table is just ugly, do not copy it ).

The real problem is to cut the holes for the drive wheel teeth. First you need to find a method to trace where to cut, then figure out how to cut them. Right now I don't have photos to show how I dealt with it. I'll catch up later.

If someone uses that method I recommend making some extra links - the first elements you make will not be perfect. Alternatively you can put the worse elements where the track is not visible.

And finally the copper wire you salvaged will help you put the links together.
Attached Thumbnails
Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-hb_resize.jpg   Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-hc_resize.jpg   Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-hd_resize.jpg   Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-he_resize.jpg   Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-hf_resize.jpg  

Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-hg_resize.jpg   Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-hi_resize.jpg   Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-hj_resize.jpg   Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-hk_resize.jpg   Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-hl_resize.jpg  

Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-hm_resize.jpg   Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-hn_resize.jpg   Bradley M2 - OIF modification of ModelCard-ho_resize.jpg