View Single Post

Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for your comments, well, the matter began when I saw a few years ago on the FG website a model build with aluminum can (soda can), since then I want build so but i didnt know how, late I found in Internet a book offered for sale to learn these techniques but did not buy it. (I'm Ecuadorian, I dont buy things online J).

After thinking about it I thought I could "unfold" the cans and glue a printed pattern of an FG model and act as if pieces of cardboard, my intention was that model was externally paper and internally were aluminum which would be really “hard” model.

In the photos below I show how to convert a "soda can" in a flat sheet (be carefull i you try it), then proceeded to glue the model using white glue, then I use heavy books as press, later I proceeded to cut the aluminum like cardboard with scissors (common one), everything worked fine, but when I process to fold the pieces the paper off the aluminum. But the paper pieces were cover on the back with a transparent layer of rubber so I built the two models, the aluminum stuck with super glue and the paper with white glue.

I've only made few Piper J3 aluminum models, I gave the models to my friends who have very much appreciated, I suspect that it is possible to build any FG aluminum models with this “technique” and perhaps set the layer of paper with an stronger adhesive or perhaps use side "without paint" as the exterior of the model and then paint the colors and details with a brush or airbrush.

Unfold can is found to be of a size close to the "A5" and because that no part of the model may be larger than this size.

(sorry my bad english)