View Single Post

Old 04-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymalkin View Post
Are the tutorials you wrote still available? The links don't work at this time. If not, do you know of a great Meta tutorial for a beginner? I have read many but they are always on modeling airplanes for flight model simulators, swords, boxes, dogs, or ripping characters from games and using them as the base to make the model. Many are geared to one game such as Final Fantasy. I go through them and try to glean as much as I can from them. I want to design figure/model characters, unfold in Pepakura, and make them into paper models. I just need some basic instruction on how to start. If you start with a Primitive, I haven't seen any tuts that show you how to push, pull, extrude so it forms a person. Using dot-to-dot, my front view dots get all mixed up with my back side dots and so on. I know what most of the buttons do and can draw lines and points, make faces, extrude, invert, etc. but I don't know how to make a person. Not a sculptured person, but more of an anime-type person in clothes. I appreciate any help. I surely need it. I don't want to animate with rigging, bones and all and I have several good tuts on texturing and uv mapping.
I have never seen a metasequoia tutorial for character modeling, in fact the only one I have ever seen for character modeling from primitives was for 3dsmax, I think it was for the office girl (or bunny) by andyH, went from a box to figure. Sorry can't find the link for it.
I think the best method, and the one I use, is to take a ready made figure and adapt it, there is a metasequoia plugin to make characters just for this purpose. There are plenty of figures out there, you just need to find one that is closest to your requirements. You'll find that adapting a model is just as time consuming as modeling one from scratch.
I'll try looking again for that tutorial, tried it myself, result wasn't very good.