View Single Post

Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
How to search 3-character words

Are you tired of getting this result when looking for a thread about the DC-3?
How to search 3-character words-search_01.jpg

Is the term "Mad Max" word you are looking for too short or too common?
How to search 3-character words-search_02.jpg

Does the search function returns a "no match" answer, even when you know the SR-71 is here?
How to search 3-character words-search_03.jpg

The limitations of the search function of the forum can be frustrating sometimes, making the user to go through pages and pages and pages of posts, just looking for an specific topic.

This happens everywhere. The problem is not exclusive to this forum. A lot of the forum machines are designed to ignore short terms, like three-character words, that are usually extremely common and would be just annoying to the user.

Imagine looking for words like "and" "for" "the".... you'd get millions of results.

But the problem is that the same script prevents specific terms to be searched, like "DC-3", "F-15", "Dr.1", "Mad Max", or even "SR-71"... and you just know this things are here.

So, how to overcome this?

Easy.

Just open google, type the term you are looking for, followed by "site:" (without the quotation marks) and the address of the website.
Code:
example:
Mad Max site:http://www.papermodelers.com
It works beautifully, and the depression is cured.

How to search 3-character words-search_04.jpg

I don't know if Chrome, or Safari or other browsers have similar functions. But at least this function in Google has saved me lots of time in all the places where I need to look for something specific.

Of course, it works with longer terms as well. Even complete sentences. So you can virtually look for any word inside any website just using that simple formula.

Eg: you know you read an article about something that interests you in certain site, but you don't remember the links to to get to the specific sub-sub-sub page. By using this method you'll surely save a lot of time and effort if you remember some key words.
How to search 3-character words-search_05.jpg

Hope this will be useful and time-saving for you, as it has been for me