View Single Post

Old 05-02-2011, 06:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
NC&J: Human anatomy

Hi all,
This is quite old kit, reprinted in the abc magazine several years ago. It spreads on 3 A4 pages, one of them being the base board.
The model consists of a 3D skeleton, muscles and innards on the left and a 2D unfoldable figure at the right (plus an enlarged heart at the bottom). It is quite unique design and rarely seen built. This is how it looks:

And here is an animated autopsy of the 2D half :

Nice and ingenious design, but the build was a pain. Almost every single part had some fit problems (up to 3 mm ), shaping is sometimes impossible without additional cutting and brute force, and if you think that folding and gluing the parts exactly by the designed lines is a good idea that can't do any harm, you'd never assemble this thing. I'm afraid the designer didn't bother to test-build the model before publishing. But now when it is finished, it doesn't look bad and nothing else matters.

I built the model without any extensive modifications; the only visible ones are some holes cut out and a frame made of corrugated cardboard covered in a "wooden" wallpaper.

By the way, storing a model in a place where air humidity goes up to 80% is not a good idea - it buckled the cardboard-reinforced base. Fortunately it's not a problem from the front and I covered it with a new flat plate at the back.

All in all, it was a new, challenging experience and a great exercise in patience .