View Single Post

Old 08-01-2008, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 155.43 MB
The International Space Station Thread

Ok it seems that there's not much folks here are diggin' the ISS as a model subject, I've read the archived thread (am I right?) about the MARSCenter ISS model (by Dr. Raimondo Fortezza), but after a few posts, it stopped...

(Overview of the AXM Paper Space Scale Models)

But just more or less a year or so ago, a good friend of ours and real space model designer Alfonso X. Moreno (I guess many here have heard about him, especially cardmodels.net members here) stepped up with a massive project, to design 1/144 scale models concerning the whole shuttle program (with great references to boot).

From his project, he designed all of the orbiters, from Enterprise to Endeavour, with each one available in different versions, specific to which shuttle mission the orbiters have flown. He also included the SRBs and ET, also treated the same way as the shuttle, with mission-specific details.

But wait, that doesn't stop there, he also designed the Crawler Transporter (both in Apollo and Shuttle era details and markings) and the STS Mobile Launch Platform (also with mission specific details).

BTW, all of the above are for the amazing price of $0.00 - also called free for you and me :D

Of course, the project needs some form of funding, so there's one part of his project that require a small fee ($4.50 to be exact, very affordable for any modeler's viewpoint). That part is the payloads. Yup, his goal is to actually replicate every payload that the Shuttle flew from STS-1 to its final mission in 2010 in their respective missions. In real space modeling, this is a first, from my knowledge, nobody has ever attempted this...

However, as promotion to his project, there are a considerable number of mission payloads that he made available for free as well...

and due to his project, his project for the International Space Station was conceived. He plans to design a very accurate but easy to assemble 1/144 scale model of the ISS, including all of the shuttle missions that flew in contribution to the program (including all Shuttle resupply flights).

Like the mission payload models, most of the parts are priced just like the other mission payloads, but again, some of them are for free as well...

And before I forgot, his ISS will also have a 1/100 scale version, which will be available to those who purchased the mission payload files for the ISS (of course, the 1/100 scale components for the freebie payload files are for free as well)

And as of this moment, he's focused on this project for the moment... At cardmodels.net, sir Alfonso decided to push through the ISS project to help the ones who were building the MARSCenter ISS update their models to the current configuration of the space station.

ok here's a rundown of the current available payload files for the ISS related missions:

STS-88 (flight 2A)

STS-92 (flight 3A)

STS-97 (flight 4A)

STS-98 (flight 5A)

STS-102 (flight 5A.1)

STS-104 (flight 7A)