Thread: Earth Tectonics
View Single Post

Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Go Ruben

Hi Ruben,
Be sure to read again the caveats for this map, over on my website. remember it has only ever been assembled ONCE. And it is an EXPERIMENTAL map.
Exactly how to assemble the moving/sliding/overlapping/subducting parts has NOT been worked out. So this is less like a simple craft project, where diligence and meticulousness will eventually win out, and much more like an art project, where your particular judgments, creativeness with paper, and (even) luck will have more affect on the finished product.

How much of its active potential you are able to capture will be the mark of your success, and it should be easy to exceed my attempt. Since I am clumsy with my hands, and used relatively large pieces of clear tape (and too many pieces of tape, I see in hindsight), I was able to activate only a few of the possible places.
I'm not unlike a scout who has identified a new path into previously unknown territory, without making it very easy for the rest of you to follow along. Except for the fact that you wouldn't have this map at all if it weren't for me, I haven't been much help.

Careful, though: those lines around Antarctica that you picture so well, and cite as merely necessary for the unfolding, are in fact actual tectonic features, specifically sliding (side-to-side slippage) fractures. So they are part of the possible tectonic activity.

I'm rooting for you.

Go Ruben.