View Single Post

Old 07-23-2011, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
Designs on Hold - Indefinately

Just before I went on vacation to Munich in mid-June, my computer (a aging franken-puter) took a final dive. It was old, but it was mine. When we got back, we splurged (for us) and got a moderately priced HP brand new (I've not had a 'new' computer since 2001). The joy of that lasted for about two weeks, and after about two dozen BSOD's over the last week it finally hard-crashed, destroying not only the newly reinstalled OS partition but also the HP backup partition.

Thankfully, I've lost very little actual data. Some save games, and a score of logins to remember, but I've lucky in that I have backups of all my projects before the first computer crashed, and the only project I've worked since has a recent backup on my work laptop.

That said, it will be a few weeks to a month before I finish going through the return/repair recycler. My work PC is an inefficient replacement for the design/development, so I imagine I will make little to no progress on any projects until this is resolved.

My greatest fear is that the techs at HP will just reinstall a new OS and call it 'good' when it is clear to me that the hardware is at fault (a BSOD 5 minutes after a factory-reset operating system is not an OS failure). If that is the case, I'm in for a few rounds of this.

I hate computers sometimes.
Tirick

(apparently I also can't spell Indefinitely)