View Single Post

Old 07-24-2011, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
The Souther Navy in a World War

OK, not Sci-fi but more of a "what if" combined with "Steam punk" take on the American Civil War.

Idea/back drop.
What if in early 1863 a Rebel merchant raider ventured too close to San Fransisco Harbor. While it's pry heads for the safety of the bays fortifications, the raider exchanges shots with the Unions fortifications. Under secret orders from the Czar to attack any beligerent ship, Confederate or European who fires on the US on the West coast, the Russian Navy in engages the raider. No damage is done o either party but the shots set into motion a string of events. the newly formed country of Germany send elements of it's navy to north America, backing the Confederacy. France steps up it's conquest of Mexico, prompting Southern Mexico to through in with the US in exchange for help. The governors northern border states of Coahuila and Nuevo León renue their offer to secede northern Mexico and join the Confederacy, and this time Jeff Davis readily excepts. England, with the worlds largest Navy, readies its forces but cautiously waits, however blockade running and ship building picks up.

With the land forces in Europe facing off (but not actively engaging), the navies of France, Germany, Northern Mexico and the Confederacy get ready to face off against ships from the United States, Russia, and Southern Mexico. The naval action of the Civil War, considered by some a side show, suddenly becomes the focus of the world.

There are three four theaters of operations, each with it's own set of elements to keep in mind. Battles will be fought on the east coast, gulf coast, the West coast, and the inland bays, harbors and rivers of the Southern US and Mexico.

With so much riding on the out come, the industrial out put would by nature focus on new and more impressive ways of killing at sea. This is where a bit of imagination would come into play. Maybe with more materials run through the blockade, a number of "improved" Hunley's could be prowling the bays. Maybe Dr. Gatling's gun would find use on river ironclads after all. Anyhow,

Well. that's my thoughts so far. The backdrop has historical contexts for the What ifs. The Russian navy was under secret orders to defend the West coast. And Northern Mexico did offer to join the Confederacy, but that would have allowed the Union to blockade the open Mexican ports.

I have many "stats" for the needed ships, and could shrink my models way down for table top use. However, I have never designed a game before. It would need to be simple, dice rolling action/outcome kind of game. Maybe involving land mass=money type of thing, with different ships coasting different amounts.

So, would it be interesting enough to others or just me?

CT