View Single Post

Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Guys

There is no doubt about it. The 900mm version of the X200 (named X900) is one mother of a cardboard hull. Made in 2mm card the parts are not only glued together but also pop-rivetted with 3mm aluminium pop rivets. Here for example is the drawing for one of the 4 bulkheads in the boat. The small holes show the locations of the pop rivets. The projected cargo capacity of the boat will be around 14Kg - a humongous capacity for such a small boat whose projected weight will lie around the 2Kg mark. This will be an extremely sea-worthy hull, and I mean SEA-worthy. I may begin marketting this as an environmental monitoring boat for use in sensitive areas like bird colonies etc. We shall see. I have to build it first..:D (You can probably "hear" that I am looking forward to that.

In the mean time I have painted both the last prototype and the "production" versions of the X200 with their first layers of terpentine based paint (green). This weekend I expect to add brówn and maybe some black in a camo pattern. Both will be float tested in the kitchen sink when ready (no need to break out my 8foot inflatable swimming pool to test these hulls). The last prototype will be used to measure trim/load and displacement values. More on that later. The other will be used only as a demo model.

I will be starting a new project thread for the CardCat X900 Stealth Drone when I start building it next week.