View Single Post

Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Robert

Thanks for the comment, the link, and the question. I know thermoplastic sheeting with foam very well and have used it before in parts of some of my larger designs (35m Baltic Princess passenger ferry for example).

Cardboard as a building material other than for display purposes was totally unknown to me prior to this project. I am in a position now where I can follow those research directions which I find interesting and do not need to design for a living. I have decided to try out cardboard for construction.

At the moment I am still on a learning curve with the material. I want to see how far it can go and whether it can be used for anything serious. That is the only reason that I am working with cardboard - but at the same time the best reason from a designer point of view. I am having real fun with it so far and that is another reason for using it. And then there is the ecological reason. Thermoplastic with foam is not nearly as environmentally friendly as paper/cardboard. Last but not least the financial side. Cardboard is significantly cheaper to make, work with and dispose of than plastic. Those are major factors that influence me at the moment.

Cheers