View Single Post

Old 09-25-2011, 06:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Scanner calibration

Next, I took the printed version I was happy with, and stuck that into the scanner. The idea now was to make test-scans of the already printed part, and print those scans again. Adjustments to be made until the printed scans where as similar as possible to the original printed part.

Above you see: left - the scanner adjustment panel, top right - the scanned image as displayed afterwards on the screen, and bottom right - the original test print document, the printed version of which is laying in the scanner.

I'll make a long story shorter here by saying that I started with making a number of scans, and compared the scanned (but not yet printed) output onscreen, much like you see it above. Adjustments were made between each trial scan in "brightness", "color", "temperature" and "saturation", until I was satisfied with how things looked on the screen. All three versions were reasonably similar - on the screen.

This scanned version I now printed. Since the final scan adjustments had produced something which looked like the original document on the screen, and I had already calibrated the printer and screen to replicate each other, as close to "what you see is what you get" as I could come, expectations were for a good print result.

This, however, was not to be. The printed result was similar to what had started this whole investigation - there was a greyish hue over both background and colors. So had everything then been in vain?
Attached Thumbnails
Calibrating your printer, screen, and scanner-scanner-calibration-onscreen.jpg