View Single Post

Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos filipe View Post
But it is not only the plastic kits market. Here in Europe it starts to show on the shelves laser cut models (paper models) with an obscene pricing. I can try to understand the implications of project development for a plastic model and the impact of mould making in the process. But a kit made out of card, cut by a computer that only requires another file, not new tooling is even more incomprehensive for me.
Tooling is expensive in plastic modeling but not that expensive as it used to be and proof of that is that cottage-industry offers more and more injection molded models. Those short runs and limited editions always stay expensive.
Revell Germany sets in my opinion the high volume producers prize-range quite well, everything else is more or less over prized.
As what it comes card modeling and laser cutting I think it's just normal evolution, if there is a demand there will always be producers to fill that market. Super detailing and ease of construction is a boon in plastic modeling too.
Old school builders enjoy scatch-building and are talented enough to do so, us mere mortals need to buy aftermarket goodies to be able to imitate that.

A confession: I just bought 1:72 scale Shipyard laser cut model of pinnace Papegojan and I'm so glad I did so. It's wonderfull to see what can be made with modern technology and how that in the hands of skillfull builder (and I don't mean me) transforms to a life like scale presentation of the subject. I'll give it a try anyway someday.

Tappi