View Single Post

Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Hello All

Life is getting somewhat back to normal, so I am ready to pick up this thread again. Once more my apologies for the hiatus.

First, to respond to your kind comments. Compared with many people's, my problems are very minor, but nevertheless I have greatly appreciated your words. I am glad to say my wife is well recovered now, though waiting for some (rather expensive) dental treatment to head off further problems.

Miles, I'm not sure about those hog riders. Those I have met (admittedly a small sample - I have led a sheltered life!) have generally been considerate and interesting people, and might well be fascinated by a glimpse into the past. All the bikes of that period show the "power-assisted pushbike" influence very strongly. It was some time later that motorcycle design really took its own path.

Zathros: yes, my firm intention is to tidy up the parts sheets and make them generally available, once I have finished (if I ever finish). I have no wish to go commercial, though, so they will be free to all.

pdmccool, was this the Curtiss you had in mind?(!)

A 269 cu.in. (4.4 litre) V8 aero engine bolted on to a special motorcycle frame it managed nearly 140mph over a timed flying mile - in 1907! Not all Curtisses were quite that wild though. If I ever get to do another vintage motorcycle, a Curtiss could be a candidate, though I would find it hard to resist an early Indian - they were such a lovely colour. All rather premature, though, as I am still far from finishing this one.

Edgardo, thank you for your kind offer. There are a lot of good photos already on the net, which is partly why I am building this particular model, but they are mostly oblique side views. If you had a dead-on front, rear or overhead view of something in the 1910 to 1915 range, that could be be very useful, though. Later on there may well be some obscure details which I might ask you about.

Alan