View Single Post

Old 12-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks friends for your reply.

birder: I know, Glen, sometimes itīs hard to find properly infos about ships, and in this case I can take some infos just from the engraving from Le Hydrographie, where is surely french ships from the first half of 17 th century - flags from the ship and decorations belongs to Louis XIII, or paints of french/ dutch ships of this age ( there were five ships built before the La Couronne by dutch for french ) and - mainly - from Vasa, which one was bult by dutch also and is only survived ship from this age ( if you compare different pics and engravings of french ships built by dutch, dutch ships and Vasa, you will find a lot of common elements there - so itīs the key Iīm using - and I think the only suitable.

Rdk: thanks for the link, I know this one already, but, unfortunately, there are a lot of mistakes on this page, for example the hull lines of the Prince 1610 shows this ship after the rebuilding in later age - not in 1610, like is mentioned there. Comparison of the La Couronne and Sovereign is wrong - La Couronne were in service only for few years, an Sovereign almost till the end of the 17th century - and the depiction of the Sovereign is after her rebuild in the middle of the century based on the model in the NMM.
Comparison is absolutely inappropriate. Sorry.

Sterns which I shoveds are from two kits - the left one is Corel, the right one is Mantuaīs design. Mantua made Kit based on themodel of the ship lost in 1943, which is showed on wikiīs page ( the model of Japan modeller is made from this kit also ). What was the source for the Corel kit - I donīt know. These pictures showed also some modifications on the ship made by modellers. But the problem Iīm solving now is the bottom part of the side galleries - producers mad e probably modificatio because of gunports - and this modification is unsuitable and probably wrong - you canīt get together different parts of side gallery - top from the cca 1630 and bottom from cca 1680, as is made on these kits.
I asked several friends about this ship, two of them are mariners and experts of shipwright, they couldnīt tell me any exact infos about this ship - because they simply donīt exist, but remind me that both of kits have a lot of mistakes and are called by french historicians and experts as " Disneyīs ship "
. They recommend me the way of research I mentioned before and Iīm doing now. This is the reason Iīm doing some improvement on the ship
Thank you for these ideas anyway. If you īll find some new, let me know, maybe we will find something interesting.

Jan