Thread: I like to cook
View Single Post

Old 11-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Paper models and cooking go hand-in-hand -- or at least it seems like they ought to for some reason. This is one of my favorites: loaded with fiber (just like paper) and a good source of protein and warmth for a cold day.

BILL’S BEANS
Ingredients:
2-3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
2-3 nice-sized cloves of garlic, finely minced (or 2 tsp of ready-minced)
1 large onion diced, ¼” to ½” dice
8 oz smoked sausage (e.g., Polska Kielbasa) or chorizo, smoked ham, etc., ½” dice (you can skip this for a vegetarian version)
15 oz. can of kidney beans, reserve liquid
15 oz. can of black-eyed peas, reserve liquid.
15 oz. can of navy beans, light red kidney beans etc. – whatever your like, reserve liquid.
(Note that the choice of beans is intended to mix color and texture, so many different combinations can be used.)
28 oz. can of whole cooked tomatoes, quartered. I prefer whole Italian plum tomatoes. Use a brand that delivers lots of tomatoes and less liquid (Sclafani, for example). Reserve the liquid
1-2 tsp mixed Italian seasoning (dried parsley, oregano, thyme, basil)
1 or 2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
Hot sauce, sherry pepper sauce, crushed Aleppo or California peppers, etc., to taste if desired

Preparation:
In a large sauté pan or kettle over medium high heat, sauté the garlic in the olive oil until it begins to brown
Add onion and sauté until translucent
Add smoked sausage (or other meat) if desired, and sauté briefly until lightly browned
Reduce heat to medium; add beans and toss with other ingredients
When blended, add tomatoes and toss with other ingredients
Add about 1 cup of the reserved bean and tomato liquid (about half and half)
Add bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste
Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add bean and tomato liquid as needed to maintain consistency. When done, the resulting concoction should be like a stew, fairly thick but not runny.
Adjust seasoning as needed. Add hot sauce if desired (or earlier in the process)

Notes:
The choice of beans is up to the cook. I like to mix dark and light colored beans for the visual effect. From a flavor standpoint, red kidney beans seem to go well with black-eyed peas or navy beans. Experiment in whatever direction your taste buds lead. This dish keeps well. It may be prepared ahead of time and reheated as needed.

www.geoghegan.us
Current build: GPM Halberstadt DII