Thread: Chess Anyone?
View Single Post

Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
My mom taught me to play chess when I came down with the measles as a kid. I didn't play a lot after learning until I got into high school and met people who liked to play (which led to a lot of wargaming also).

In my senior year, my high school held its first school wide chess tournament. It was a double elimination affair and I entered it for the fun of it. I lost my first game, but then went on a tear and ended up in the championship game. The game is one of my best and worst memories of high school.

I was up against the most popular non-sports affiliated person in the senior class. He had 20 or so people on his side, watching each and every move he made. He would make a move and even if it didn't make sense, they would applaud. On my side was no one, as I was a "greaser" in high school. I carried a 1.7 grade point average, hung out with the worst of the worst, of which none cared about a chess tournament.

About eight moves into the game, I decided since my opponent was playing a very cautious game, that I would go on a blitzkrieg. I moved my queen out for the attack with the plan to do as much damage as possible, then sacrifice her for the win. He moved a pawn to an attack position on my queen and I saw an immediate checkmate. Of course I made the kill. My opponent stared at the board for a moment, looked at me and slightly dipped his head, stood up and with a lot of "good game" from his friends, walked off. I sat there for a moment, turned to the official watching the game and said, "Is that it?" He said it was, so I got up and went home.

The next day, during first hour classes, the announcement was made about the winner of the chess tournament. The announcer butchered my name so badly, that not even the students and teacher in the class I was in at the time knew it was me. They kept asking, "Who is that?" Embarrassed, I didn't tell anyone it was me.

A few days later, I was presented a trophy at an awards assembly. After receiving the award, people came up to me and said, "You're the one who beat so-an-so?"

I played chess off and on after that during my military days. While in stationed in Italy, I met a Russian who constantly kicked my butt. However, I learned a lot from her. I've continued off and on playing since then.

When computer chess came out, I jumped on it. Can't remember the program, but it was one of the first ones and I got tired of beating it. After getting another one 12 year ago, I have yet to beat it, even on its easy setting...just not concentrating as I should. But it could also be I just can't play unless I have that board in front of me. My mind set when I sit in front of a board is total concentration on the game. When I sit in front of the computer, I just can't concentrate hard on the game.

But I still fire up my program once in a while.