Thread: Chess Anyone?
View Single Post

Old 02-17-2012, 11:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Really great stories guys, I especially can relate to Darwin's experience - except, I wouldn't let my father go to sleep unless I won. There was a time when I could tell my father was throwing the game, but that was when I didn't start discovering 'chess' and a good deal about it (though I have yet to scratch the surface). It still is gratifying and extremely fun to play chess with my father.

And Ashrunner, what a breathtaking turn of events, it should go down in writing! (Or typing in this case) - Truly the stuff of legends.

Speaking of the Queen's Gambit, I just completed a 5 minute 'Live Chess' match with an individual just a few minutes ago on Chess.com. I was playing black and I could tell it was the Queen's Gambit after c4. Honestly, I'm not too good with book openings and most of the time I just try to pick up fundamentals here and there and apply them to my game.

For those interested, the match went something like this:

1.d4 d5
2.c4 dxc4
3.e4 e6
4.Nf3 Nf6
5.Nc3 Bb4
6.Bxc4 Nxe4
7.Qa4+Nc6
8.O-O Nxc3
9.bxc3 Bxc3
10.Rb1 Bxd4
11.Nxd4 Qxd4
12.Bb5 Qxa4
13.Bxa4 O-O
14.Be3 Na5
15.Rbc 1c6
16.Rfd 1b5
17.Bc2 Bb7
18.Be4 f5
19.Bf3 Rad8
20.Bc5 Rfe8
21.h3 Rxd1+
22.Rxd1 a6
23.Rd7 g5
24.Bb6 Nc4
25.Bc5 Ne5
26.Rxb7 Nxf3+
27.gxf3 Rd8
28.Be3 Rd1+
29.Kg2 f4
30.Rb8+Kg7
31.Rb7+Kg6
32.Re7 h5
33.Rxe6+Kf5
34.Rh6 g4
35.Rxh5+Ke6
36.hxg4 fxe3

I came down to the wire with my opponent, and at move 30 we each had 10 seconds left. I haven't done any analysis of it, but I think I should have played 20. Nc4, looking to play Nb2, but then that could be met with Rb1. However, I was counting that time pressure would cause some impulsive moves. Definitely not my best game, and I'm sure I made plenty of mistakes, but for a change, my opponent wasn't rude. In fact, I played several games with another opponent who I actually befriended and we discussed our sentiments after each game.

I'm glad that you guys are considering playing on chess.com, and hopefully I'll be able to get in a game with you guys in the near future. I'll be looking forward to it!

In other chess related discussion, has anyone checked this out?

Graphic Novel | Stories Before a Goodnight Kiss

The author, Theocarous, is portraying the story of the famous (or infamous) Bobby Fischer, and the title seems rather interesting! I've read the first three chapters that he's put up, and do await the fourth. He plans to release the story as an actual high quality hardcover publication, but intends to allow readers to view the story online through the pdf's on his site. The content structure is rather interesting, and has a certain aesthetic appeal to it.