View Single Post

Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Yogi-18-hours was just yesterday's time. Redrew some parts Friday night after work, printed and cut till 430am Sat.

Back at it by noon on Sat., couple breaks here and there, glue last part at 3am today.

Peter-Yep, happens when you go from 2000 sq ft to new apart with 480 sq ft-where to put all of my model making stuff?!

Layne-Original design. Direct print-no PDF. Problem with models this big, have to have a huge wideformat printer. No where to get it printed otherwise. Nobody will print on cardstock this big.

No engine-air pressure launch only. Will start with 50# PSI and work up to 110# PSI.
Saturn V Massive Build-saturn-v-launch-pad.jpg
Saturn V Massive Build-saturn-v-70-psi.jpg

Jon-no photos, but, here is the bottom end and top. Looking at the side view-picture a cardstock disc the same size as the bottom one-location is between the words "United States" to keep the PSI tube centered and from warping.

It was made by "extruding" the cardstock. Meaning I forced the cardstock once cut to the proper width through the inside of an 1" PVC pipe, letting it stay that way for hours as I built the rest of the model. This pre-formed it and then once removed it was glued using a 6ft long 3/4" aluminum pipe as a brace.

Bulkheads (cardstock laminated discs) were glued to the outside at the bottom, middle and top. You can see the Top and Bottom discs.
Saturn V Massive Build-psi-tube-bottom.jpg
Saturn V Massive Build-psi-tube-top.jpg

Now that it is done (glue dry) the next step will be to weigh it.

The big issue now that it is completed?
It is binding on the Launch PVC pipe. This was kind of expected.
Answer 1 = To spray silicone spray on the 3/4" PVC pipe to make it slippery.
Answer 2 = Use 1/2" PVC pipe and make "shims" to seal it at the bottom.
Answer 3 = ?
Answer 4 = Static display
Air Pressure will be trapped inside nosecone for a shock absorber-notice that nosecone is extended in the following photo.
Saturn V Massive Build-1.5-inch-shock-absorber.jpg

Today's expected flight should have a soft landing!
Saturn V Massive Build-soft-landing-expected.jpg

Mike