View Single Post

Old 02-26-2012, 11:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Yogi,

Didn't know the numbers, but, I guessed at what you're saying.

The internal cardstock PSI Tube is fine, the 3/4" PVC on the other side of the valve came apart (not glued together).

I launched with the PVC tank psi gauge showing 70# PSI. Used a shorter PVC pipe (33") inside the paper because of binding and wind issues. Ideal plan is to use a PVC launch pipe the same length as the internal paper tube (67").

Used a 1/2" wide glued tab and paid particular attention to the gluing, when the PSI tube was made. Then ran a strip of regular scotch tape down the whole length of the glue seam. A bigger paper chamber will be much easier to make.

You can see from the video that there was also a wind issue, along with freezing rain and fog.

After reading your numbers above, might do some surgery and install a larger PSI Chamber to fit a little looser around the 3/4" PVC, using masking tape to "shim" the Paper to PVC at the bottom. Right now it is 1.11" I.D..

To split/pop the Tag 125# PSI chamber is going to take more than 70# of air pressure the system supplied.

Landing in the wet snow caused a little discoloration to the ink, but, no structural damage.

Will carefully remove the present PSI tube and then test until it "pops" this week. Gluing it to a 3/4" PVC coupler attached to the system.

Max air pressure won't go over 100# PSI, due to limits of PVC tank launch system valve. Max operating PSI on the valve is 150#, thus giving me a 50# safety factor. Rocket should never see these pressures if it can move freely.

Rocket has challenged me to get it to 100' AGL....

quote- "My hat's off to you for actually launching that masterwork (probably why I keep my stomp rockets simple - you don't want to see me cry after they land ...)"

I know what you mean-you wouldn't have anything to give to your lucky class members...

Mike