View Single Post

Old 03-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonduster View Post
Ah, that jogged the memory! That was Dennis Norman, and I was there............................................. ..........................................
..........I'm not in those guys' class, I made singles. Anybody interested, here're the plans I and a couple friends did, as the "DeathTrap Squadron." --I'm the Michael in the bunch. My drawing & flying buddy Rocky Russo died this winter, and that's a lot of why I don't wanna do the stuff now <snif!>

'Duster
You really have to design the fuselages to take the compression and twisting load, use a lubricant, real rubber strips, too get those awe inspiring over the barn, maybe lose the plain flights. I have made twin engine rubber band models, but I ran the rubber power assembly down the fuselage, used a geared assembly to bring the shaft back and connected it with VCR rubber belts I used to always have hanging around, (this was back when people used these machines that had things called cassettes, etc.) to the propeller shafts in the nacelles. These were generic planes I made myself. The best planes were the simplest. They flew farther, higher, and longer, when they had virtually no fuselage, and long, narrow, glider like lightweight wings.

I had a friend of over 24 years that died a couple of years ago, we used to have a blast, having a friendly competition building these things.

I always wanted to try the really slow acetate flyers, you know, that ones that makes you wonder what is holding them up. Up to 36 minute flights.

I can relate to that Duster.

Getter, everything you make looks so good!!