View Single Post

Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava Designs View Post
Oh, and there may not be round masts. The museum's model group had a hard time forming Mr. Detyna's masts, so they've asked for an alternative. I personally think that round masts are always the way to go. Since I'll be using thinner media, I'm going to have them try forming the masts again, along with some alternative versions. The alternatives will not look as nice as rounded masts, but, again, the call is up to the museum.
My I suggest this method for making round masts.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/tips-tricks/6461-method-easily-make-1-mm-paper-rods.html

Though they will not have the taper of a mast or yard it will be better than a square shape which I assume is what will be used in place of the round masts
If you check out a baking supply store you will find the lollipop sticks in several diameters. They could be painted with simple water colors which would be safe with kids.
For the more experienced modeler I suggest that you take the printed part and calculate the required diameter of the rod and form a rod to that diameter less 2X the thickness of the paper. Then glue the part on to the rod (works better with 24lb paper then 67lb). If you are really nuts you can peel the printed surface off of the printed 67 lb card stock and glue that on the rod. The last method will make a seamless part.

Jim Nunn