View Single Post

Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post

So, I humbly, and I do mean humbly, suggest since you are doing ALL the work, that instead of bold black lines that seem to festoon many of the models we build, that you either shade the panel lines of use a more subtle gray line to suggest the presence of the panel. The shade of grey would depend on where an imaginary light source was hitting the seam. Logically, those on the upper part of the aircraft would be lighter and those on the bottom darker.

In both cases, the lines would be fine. Those areas where there are gaps between panels such as flaps, ailerons, etc. might reasonably executed in black. Since this is going to be a large model, you might even simulate rivets in the areas where they would have been most prominently visible on the aircraft. Ruben Andres Martinez is doing just that on his restoration of the huge Alan Rose DC-3.

Again, ideas for you to use or loose as you see fit. Thanks for even taking them into consideration!
I agree with what you have stated here, I think the plane needs to be modeled to best represent how it would look from distance. Highly detailed models get very busy visually. Having said that one of my favorite builds was Ken West X-15 a very detailed model.

I like this skinning theme but am now bogged down on shape. Working out these kinks before I get buried in Illustrator work. I have been doing some experimentation with some images i extracted from photos I got from Spencer. Making sure they hold up inside a vectored PDF as I enlarge and shrink it. So far so good.
I do plan on some gradient work in regards to lines and paint work, not sure about the rivets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencermitchellmusic View Post
Charles, I agree with you as far as drawing the panel lines in a lighter shade of grey or have the line shaded. Also, please forgive me for being picky but most of the "dots" that you see printed on models of planes this size are not rivets. All of the removeable panels on this plane are held on by either screws or the aforementioned dzues fasteners. Any rivets on the plane would be unseen at this scale, the dzues fasteners however are quite large on the actual plane and would need to be drawn on (a challange I would not want to undertake as I know from experiance how many screws and fasteners there are on this beast!).
So I am not a rivet counter, which is a peeve of mine. I think a pounce wheel works best for that, or you may know it better as a star wheel. I have looked at a lot of photos and for the most part this plane seems very smooth unless you are very close.Then the details are apparent.