View Single Post

Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Mike, you must roll the skins, just like they did when the prototype aircraft was manufactured. That photo of my Fury depicts a model designed using the standard truncated cone method. The seams are so tight only because they are buttressed by foam underneath. I could literally manhandle the seams, without buckling the paper, to get them near perfect.

I shaped the foam on the subframe to the aerodynamic shape it should be and rolled the paper to match the curvature of the subframe. You need a round object and a platen against which to roll the paper. For tight curves, you can use a ball bearing or one of those glass bearings found in a spray can. For the large curvature of the skins, get one of those hard rubber balls kids play with. For the platen, take a computer mouse and glue it to a solid base, perhaps plywood.

If, you'll send me the section you are working on, I'll put it all together, film it and post it on youtube so you can see exactly the process. No matter that the design is still being tweaked....it's a prototype and you're going where no designer has gone before! That sounds familiar...hmmm.