View Single Post

Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
1:12 Mercury Redstone Air Launch Rocket

Well been home from work this week with not much to do.

Designed a whole new rocket from the lazy boy I've been confined to.

This is an alpha build and print, parts fit fine, just need to redo some of the color / graphics.
1:12 Mercury Redstone Air Launch Rocket-capsule-parts.jpg
1:12 Mercury Redstone Air Launch Rocket-gluing-top-pieces.jpg
1:12 Mercury Redstone Air Launch Rocket-glue-tabs-bent.jpg

The main part of the capsule has 2,458 pices of line detail. The louvers, rivets/washers etc..Autocad does an "item" count..This count does not include the upper capsule pieces just the main capsule.
1:12 Mercury Redstone Air Launch Rocket-capsule-detail.jpg
1:12 Mercury Redstone Air Launch Rocket-almost-done.jpg

The replaceable nosecone section has a dual purpose, it is designed to handle the landing shock by providing 6" of travel forcing the air trapped inside to leave upon hitting the ground. Don't know if it will work, but plan to give it a try soon!
1:12 Mercury Redstone Air Launch Rocket-replaceable-nosecone.jpg

Rocket is 5.75 ft long, here are a couple of photos next to the Saturn V that has been repaired a few times.
1:12 Mercury Redstone Air Launch Rocket-nice-n-sunny.jpg
1:12 Mercury Redstone Air Launch Rocket-done.jpg

The Redstone uses the Metal Conduit launch pipe instead of the warped PVC that the Saturn is designed for. Couldn't make my mind up to cut the old PSI Tube out of the Saturn, this caused me to think about doing a quick design of the Redstone and fit it with the newer launch pipe (barrell system).

This build is the result.

My plan is to offer all of these "Massive" rockets for sale once they work properly!

They won't be cheap as my cost to print is fairly large at approx. $5-$6 a sheet depending on how much ink is used!

Both models use 5-sheets of cardstock, the Redstone will end up using 6-when I print a sheet of replaceable nosecones for future use by hopefully interested buyers.

The Redstone ready to fly weight is 10.8 oz.

Mike