View Single Post

Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Ahoy there Jim, and thank you, you know the coppering is not as expensive or difficult to not be done more often, Bellona would be awesome this way as one of the earliest ships to receive copper and such a nice kit available from ShipYard....I am following the example of the Newsboy model by Peter J, same tape and similar method as I could duplicate...several sources say the oxidation will occurr normally under the lacquer or protective coating, but I don't mind if it doesn't..I have a copper weathervane that is on the roof and we didn't want it to oxidize, and covered it with acrylic laquer 15 years ago and it hasn't turned green at all, but not even very dark brown either. The problem I ran into is that it looked to me that fingerprints would show more over time which I really didn't want. I handle the hull all the time...I decided on 6 ports a side even though 4 are shown in Chapelle and the model at the Addison museum shows 12 guns, I think from articles describing her that 10 guns more often carried, I think the forward ports on lots of vessels were not armed and used as "loading ports"

some artistic license in this model of course, but that some description are available in the old references is helpful and not sure I would have pushed on with only the drawing in Chapelle to go by, it is helpful to know that the owner "spared no expense" in her construction to explain some of the frills on her that are not typical for a merchant vessel (actual guns,ect.). Most interesting is the use of trysail masts rather than staysails on each mast...really a fun project from a sail history perspective...