Thread: CSS Curlew
View Single Post

Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Curlew

I am starting the research end of this ship. Thanks to Kaz, I have some great information on this iron hulled ship. No pictures so the over all apearance is subjective based on the info I do have. I know the following.

The ships dimensions, including paddle wheel size and placement. I know the type of engine, a walking beam. It was armed with two guns, one on the bow and one aft. I know the size of the hull plates and the rivet spacing, and the size of the rivets. It was a plat bottomed boat with a single u-shaped keel. Most of the superstructure parts were built of wood.

Now for the guess work by me and others.
I know that the Curlew probably had "sponsons" built out around the paddle boxes as common on side wheelers. Because of the area it worked befor the war, the superstructure was low, possably a single deck house with a small pilot house atop. This was due to the many overhanging trees and narrow water ways it worked. Alterations made to make it a war ship consisted of clearing the after part of the deck house to allow room for the aft gun, and possibly strengthening the deck.

We do have good drawings of similar sized boats working the same water ways as the Curlew so I will in part base my model on them.

Anyhow, so this is where I am at. Should come along soon. Waiting on a couple more things to fall in place.

Corey
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Curlew-148.jpg   CSS Curlew-152.jpg