View Single Post

Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
OK guys, I have been having too much fun with this. I must really be feeling better despite certain real life issues that could be a downer. I actually wake up at night thinking about these models again. It has been a while. For some time i used to be totally obsessed with modeling. Then, with illness and what not, that obsession went a way. I still would do them from time to time but not frantically like now. My wife says it was depression setting in. Could be. I guess that is a sign, not having fun with things you used to enjoy. But what ever, I seem to be back! My poor wife, her only interest in history is political/social, and now she once again has to put up with my 2am ramblings about boat howitzers, free board and steam engines. She is happy for me though, if mildly annoyed.

So, I thought it strange that the guns on this thing swing inboard towards the center of the ship rather then to the bow and stern respectively. Every other pivot seems to swing the guns away from the superstructure.

After getting more of the pieces parts in place I see why. The dang masts would get in the way. The could work that way but it would be tight. Yet, to move the whole set toward the center to clear the masts and you would limit the angle of fire on the guns. So, there is a reason for why people did things the way they did. Imagine that!

I put the wheel in the aft position on a platform simulating the tiller and rope rudder controls. This was used on many new clippers built in the 1850s as well as on other mid-size ships. This is completely a guess on my part, but the little building with the front facing window is way too small to be a pilot house. I think it was an entry way to the engine room. May be. Who knows. If you have thoughts on this let me know!

Finally, I have to do something with the open space between the paddle houses. That oddly vacant deck space between the rear gun and the smoke stack. I can not see in the photo if it had a short deck house type thing (a raised ceiling with windows to let in light and air to the cabins on the lower deck), or just what was there. I may be over thinking it, as it could just be deck space for cargo. Any thoughts?

CT