Thread: Upcoming models
View Single Post

Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I'm sure they have plans to restore it. Right now they're working on repainting and restoring the planes they have on display, of which there are hundreds, and some of which look in worse condition than the WB-57.

This is from their own site:

"The Restoration Department of the Pima Air and Space Museum has a large backlog of aircraft to be restored for the first time at the museum, aircraft being refurbished after several years on display and various pieces of equipment used in support of aircraft to be prepared for exhibit. The local facility has also recently restored aircraft, equipment and vehicles for the Titan Missile Museum in Green Valley south of Tucson."

As to the WB-57; anything not metal has been removed, and is probably in storage in their restoration hanger, the canopy has been covered to protect the cockpit, and as to the rest of the plane, the only thing getting worse is the paint is fading.

Right next door is the Air Force's facility for storing excess and retired aircraft: AMARG. The environment down there is so dry that planes can sit for decades without degrading. I've seen aircraft that haven't been in active service since the 70's that look as fresh structurally as the day they were retired...minus any useful parts of course.