View Single Post

Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Thank you for all your kind comments on the model.

I tried something different with the windshield on this build. Clear parts like this are always a challenge, since Aileen's Tacky Glue doesn't stick to plastic very well.

The template for the windscreen includes small tabs on each side for attaching it to the vertical posts. I applied AveryŽ adhesive mailing labels to the tabs before cutting out the windscreen. They stuck to the plastic "like glue." I used a very thin plastic for the windshield--the wrapper from a DVD, I think.

I glued one side of the windshield, let that dry for an hour or so, then used a tweezers to pull the other side into position. I slit the outer skin of the doorpost just under the wing, so it would fold down, tack-glued the second side of the windscreen to the inside skin, and then glued the outer skin to the windscreen tab and the inner skin. It's a solid joint.

The clear piece fit perfectly so I didn't need any glue at the top or bottom edges of the windscreen. That's another testament to Christoph's skill as a designer.

--David