View Single Post

Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Thanks for the reminder of the F-15's first flight. When I was refueling aircraft in the Air Force, we heard a lot about the next generation fighter. Then I transferred to Public Affairs work and was assigned to Aviano AB, Italy.

It was there I saw my first Eagle. The aircraft was in the original "air superiority blue" paint scheme and stood tall and mighty, alone on its spot on the ramp. I remember thinking I have never seen a more beautiful aircraft. My mission that day was cover a flight in the aircraft which happened to be a B model. The Italian Air Force chief of staff was given the flight.

Following the flight, I interviewed him for a news article. He was beaming from ear to ear and so enthusiastic about the flight, I became a bit jealous. But the one thing that I remember most about the interview was when he told me about tracking autos on the autostrada. He related how the radar could lock on one car and track it, showing the speed the car is going. He quipped following that remark that if the autostrada has a speed limit, the F-15 would be perfect to take care of speeders..."lock on, track, shoot!"

Of course he was joking, but he was absolutely amazed at the capability of the radar on the aircraft.

Years later, I was assigned to the 21st Tactical Fighter Wing (now 3rd Wing) at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska (my second assignment there). The wing was transferring to F-15s from F-4Es and my office window offered me a view of the main runway. I never could pass up watching an Eagle land.

The bird looked so proud as it rolled out with its nose held high.

The McDonnell Douglas (I refuse to call it a Boeing bird) F-15 Eagle became my favorite that day on the ramp in Italy and it still is my favorite fighter.

And for me, the aircraft I got to know quite well in Alaska by providing up close and personal tours of the aircraft (and the base) for visitors, are now assigned to the Oregon Air Guard. The aircraft often make touch-n-go approaches to the airport here.

A great aircraft, with a great record and fabulous looks.