View Single Post

Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I recently asked this question on another thread and another writer told me that I had "erred and strayed" from the intention of that thread. I have since repented to the original author -Mike Stamper- and have received absolution from him. This person suggested that a new thread with that question should be started. I thank Kevin for starting this thread. I have enjoyed reading the responses so far.

I asked the question because on a recent visit to family in Texas, my brother-in-law who is an avid golfer and could care less about my models, asked me what was going to happen to all my models when I die. He said that my children probably wouldn't want them or have room for them and that they would probably be thrown in the trash. This has been a very depressing thought.

Let me say that I am a collector or some would say a pack rat. I am new to paper modeling - since 2005. My first love has always been woodworking. I have made much of our furniture (reproductions) then I started making scroll saw items and doing craft shows when I retired. I always cut out several of the same item and saved one so I have 100's of items on display around the house. You can see all of these on my second webpage - www.creations-by-thomas.com. I have a large workshop full of tools (what will happen to them?)

I have always, since a small child, had model railroads. My present layout measures is 30' X 9'. I started building wooden and paper model cars, ships and planes at an early age - (I still have some of them). Then plastic models came out, and I have on display over 120 model cars and a dozen plastic ships. Next I started making miniature houses (doll houses) and miniature reproduction furniture when my daughter was a child. I have four fully furnished houses that are large reproductions of historic houses. (these are also pictured on my creations web page. I still have all four as she has no room for them in her home.

Then in 2005, I discovered paper model cathedrals and now have 50 on display in my study plus another 50 that I hope to make before I die.

So, being 74 years old (and still in great health), I think about what is going to happen to all of these "things" (not just the paper models) when I die ( I plan on being around another 15-20 years) I would hate for all of this very enjoyable work to be thrown on the trash pile as my brother-in-law so bluntly put it, of course I probably won't know what happens to them.

All of my paper models are architectural - mostly European Cathedrals plus a few castles. I have visited all of them in person which makes them especially interesting to me. I like to make them before visiting them. I have made 8 so far of places that we will visit on our upcoming visit to Southern France. I have three more that I hope to make but time is getting close. After spending many hours on each model, it is always thrilling to see some of the parts that were most difficult in person. All of these models are on my webpage - www.cathedralquest.com .

I also take my models to class when I teach my courses on the history cathedral architecture. I can show photos of the real building and then hold up the model and point out the exact location of certain parts.

I keep all of these papermodels on display in my study for my own enjoyment as well as friends. My wife is hosting her bookclub tonight and several ladies have already asked to see my latest models. I feel greatly honored.

Sorry to have been so long winded -- that is the "preacher" in me. This question has weighed heavily on my mind the past several weeks. I needed to write about. I hope many other people will write about what they do with all of their models.