View Single Post

Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorst View Post
I'm impressed how you and the kit manage to get the courves so smooth... looks very good!

BTW: doesn't the intake cone also control the airstream into the turbine? Can be wrong, but I remember having read that at least on some planes the cone can move for- and backwards to narrow or widen the open area and influence airspeed inside!?

Best regards,
Thorsten
The early first generation jets had no movable cones in the intake. That was done in the 60's when an aircraft started flying supersonic. In that case you controlled the throat area of the intake to match the engine performance and airspeed ( Mig-21 is a good example ).

Some engines that you see like the Jumo 004 on the Me-262 or the other engines had a static cone ( looks like a spinner, but did not rotate or move ) on the engine itself. This was a fairing for the starter as well as a smoother intake at the engine compressor face. None of the Luft 46 aircraft with nose intake and the engine in the back had that bullet nose to control flow.

Isaac